What stops young women from pursuing leadership positions?
In 2013 and 2014, we carried out consultations with over 100 young women between the ages of 16 and 24 across Ottawa and asked:
"What barriers do you think prevent young women from thinking about pursuing positions of leadership in politics, and other fields?"
Here’s what they said:
- Mistreatment of women by popular media
- Lack of confidence
- Traditional gender roles
- Negative female stereotypes
- Lack of early socialization for girls towards public issues
- Lack of role models
- Lack of resources to enter
- Negative workplace atmosphere in politics